Minestrone soup is a classic for good reason. Nourishing, packed with veggies, and warming to body and soul — this recipe is a no brainer for the cooler months. It also helps that this White Bean and Kale version comes from Barrett Prendergast of Barrett and the Boys. Barrett is a mom of two and founder of multiple food and lifestyle companies, meaning you know this one is delicious, kid approved, and easy to whip up.
- 4 tablespoons organic extra virgin olive oil + more for finishing
- 1 organic yellow onion, peeled and finely diced
- 2 organic carrots, peeled and finely diced
- 2 organic celery ribs, finely diced
- 4 organic garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 1 organic small zucchini, ends trimmed and finely diced
- 2 tablespoons organic tomato paste
- 3½ cups cooked organic white beans like Cannellini or Great Northern, separating out 1 cup and smashing the beans with a fork (If you don’t want to cook your own beans, use 2 15oz cans, drained and rinsed)
- Piece of organic rind from a block of Parmigiano Reggiano (1” to 2” piece of rind works great)
- 6 cups organic free-range chicken stock or organic vegetable stock
- 4 leaves of organic curly kale, stems removed and coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh organic Italian parsley, finely chopped
- ½ cup organic frozen peas
- Sea salt
- Black pepper
- Optional: Top with freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese and serve with lots of really good toasted bread
- In a large stock pot over medium heat, add the olive oil, onion, carrots, and celery. Stir to coat and cook for 5 minutes. Next, add the garlic and zucchini. Stir to coat and continue cooking for another 4-5 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste, stir, and cook for a minute or two. Next, add the cooked beans (whole beans and smashed beans), some sea salt, black pepper, and the Parmigiano Reggiano rind. Add the stock, increase the heat to high and bring it all to a boil. Once boiling, reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 25 minutes.
- Add the kale, parsley, and frozen peas. Stir to combine and continue cooking for another 5-8 minutes. Remove the Parmigiano Reggiano rind and discard. Taste. Season as needed with sea salt and black pepper.
- Finish with a drizzle of olive oil and Parmigiano Reggiano. Serve with your favorite bread.
Barrett Prendergast is the founder of luxury gifting company, Valleybrink Road, which has been featured in publications such as Martha Stewart, Marie Claire, Sunset Magazine, C Magazine, Food & Wine, and Goop. She also shares all things family, food, and motherhood on her lifestyle blog, Barrett and The Boys. You can also check out her pod episode here!