Michelle is an artist and educator residing in East LA. She paints feminine forms, the moon, and all else that moves her. When she is not painting, she teaches creative and kinesthetic ways of reading and thinking critically about the world.
I stumbled on Michelle’s work through instagram. She showed up at the perfect time. I was looking for an illustrator, but I wanted to find someone who shares the same values as I do. Someone committed to a holistic lifestyle that would connect with the articles we publish on a deep, personal level. This person would also inspire us to open our minds, let go, and imagine.
Michelle is that person, and she has truly blown me away. Getting to know her and working together is nothing short of a blessing. Here is a glimpse into Michelle Favin of Whys LA.
1. The Sweat Spot: This is my dance-your-heart-out, shake-your-booty, run-around-wild and free, sweaty sanctuary. Whenever I leave a class, I feel thoroughly cleansed, riding on a high of endorphins, a good bass beat, and a sense of pure inhibition. My favorite classes are Sweaty Sundays, Wet Wednesdays, and Gotta Body.
2. DnA Body Oil: In the spirit of self-love, I have been using this body oil right after each shower. The smell is divine, a combination of Organic Camellia Oil, Macadamia Nut Oil, Evening Primrose Oil, Juniper Berry Essential Oil, Grapefruit Essential Oil, and Patchouli Essential Oil. When the bathroom is still steamy, the fragrance from the oils blend with the steam, creating these crazy aromatic clouds. It sets me up for a blissful day or a sweet, serene sleep, depending on the hour. I have Art of Organics to thank for including this gem in their Detox box.
3. Books on rotation: I read to travel, to meet the minds of people from the past, to sit and have conversations with our present-day thought leaders. Reading keeps my mind wide open and my heart focused on issues of importance. I am currently reading Ta-Nehisi Coates’ Between the World and Me, Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie’s We Should All be Feminists, and Clarissa Pinkola Estés’ Women Who Run with the Wolves.
4. Moon Juice: This company is a lifesource for me. My favorite products are the alkalizing Goodness Greens, inflammation-taming Golden Tonic, and an ever-rotating blend of Moon Juice dusts – brain and sex are my favorite. I swear by drinking the Sex Tonic before painting – the creations always feel more raw, free-flowing, and honest.
5. Beginning a Kundalini practice: At the start of fall, I found Desirée Pais and felt incredibly connected to her teachings. We began to work together and she’s guided me to my own powerful, daily practice. I will forever be grateful for her work. I had always meditated, but it was never consistent or focused. Since practicing the most basic mantra of Kundalini daily, I have begun powerful shifts away from past negatives. I feel as though it is the beginning of what I hope to be a life-long unearthing.
6. Danielle Beinstein and Paula Mallis’ New Moon Circle: I’ll never forget walking up to Paula’s gorgeous home. There was an insane golden aura surrounding the frame of the house, about thirty eclectic pairs of women’s shoes by the front door, and sounds of light, laughter and music falling out into the street. I had been invited by a dear friend with no expectation of what I might find there. Paula and Danielle blew me away with their grounded energy and wisdom. Now, the gatherings are absolutely essential in my month. A time for reflection and intention-setting, celebrating my femininity, and feeling supported by powerful, intelligent women.
7. My partner Josh’s music: My prismatic partner is a gifted pianist, singer/songwriting, drummer, and guitarist. I am very spoiled by the sounds that rise from his music room. This year, he allowed himself to take his music seriously, a choice that came soon after he witnessed music’s strong healing power. I may be biased because I am in love with him, but his lyrics and melodies transport me. This one line gets me every time: Good love is staring down the barrel of yourself.
Michelle is offering free shipping on everything in her shop until January 26th. Use coupon code: WHYSFREETOYOU
Also all orders over $35 receive a complimentary “Can’t Live Without You” card.