We are delighted to host New York Times bestselling author Jessica Lahey on THE FULLEST Podcast! For over twenty years, Jessica has taught sixth through twelfth grade in both public and private schools; she spent five years teaching in a drug and alcohol rehab for adolescents and serves as a prevention and recovery coach in a medical detox and recovery center. Her written pieces about education, parenting, and child welfare have been shared in highly recognized publications; she is the author of the New York Times bestselling book, The Gift of Failure: How the Best Parents Learn to Let Go So Their Children Can Succeed and The Addiction Inoculation: Raising Healthy Kids in a Culture of Dependence.
Trigger warning: this episode may be sensitive for some listeners as we discuss generational trauma with alcoholism, the addiction lineage, substance abuse, resources to get help, and Jessica’s journey with sobriety. As you tune in, we ask you to reflect on the following: “Why is alcohol not working for you?” and “Is alcohol hindering your life?”
Topics we chat about:
- The intersection of parents & children; how guardians impact children’s learning & motivation
- Alcoholism: generational trauma & the addiction lineage
- How to have a healthy and appropriate conversation about substance abuse & alcoholism with children
- The normalization of alcohol
- The Inoculation Theory
- Coping skills & resources
- Trust, control, & autonomy
This is a must listen for parents, families, and those who feel impacted by alcohol and substances.
Referenced in this episode: