Bringing a baby into the world for the first time is full of questions — and as they say, it also takes a village. So in the spirit of sharing the recommendations we were given, and the things we’ve learned firsthand along the way, we’ve pulled together our picks of baby essentials. As always, take what works for you and your family — and leave the rest!
It’s exciting to welcome a baby into your home but the amount of stuff you need can often feel overwhelming. The truth is that you most likely don’t need as much as you think you do! Here’s our round up of the essential items we actually use and genuinely trust.
- Konges Slojd: Let’s be honest, shopping for tiny clothes is one of the most fun parts of preparing for a new arrival. These cute clothes and accessories are not only sweet and environmentally conscious, they’re also resilient and made to last. Hold onto them for baby number two or pass them onto another new mom.
- Askr & Embla Sleep Pod: If you’ve heard of the “dock-a-tot,” this is a more organic version and is great for co-sleeping. Plus, they support children’s charities and come in a bunch of cute colors.
- Levo Baby Rocker: Suitable for babies up to seven months, these stylish rockers softly mimic your babies natural movements.
- Handwoven Changing Basket: Handmade from start to finish in elephant grass, these gorgeous baskets bring a touch of the natural world to your nursery. Plus, they make changing one more diaper slightly less arduous.
- Glass Baby Bottles with Natural Rubber: A lot of thought has gone into these baby bottles. Made from natural rubber and hand-blown glass, they have etched measurements and come in newborn (slow flow) and 3 month+ (medium flow).
- Coterie Diapers: If you are looking for a sustainable disposable diaper brand, Coterie diapers are engineered to help prevent skin irritation and limit leakage — and they’re free of fragrances, lotions, latex, rubber, dyes, alcohol, parabens, phthalates, chlorine bleaching, and animal testing.
- Esembly Cloth Diapers: For those seeking a cloth diaper brand and who are short on time, check out Esembly. Their innovative system makes cloth diapering easy, accessible, and is of course, a major win for the planet.
Home + Travel Accessories:
Getting from A to B with little people takes on a whole new meaning. The challenge is always to take less but also have everything you need — something parents have been trying to master for centuries. Here’s our equipment picks to make it a little easier.
- WAYB Travel Car Seat: Made for adventures big and small, this car seat is truly portable and a true ‘traveling with kids’ game changer.
- Doona Car Seat + Stroller Combo: There’s a lot of moving parts to car seats and strollers but this system makes it much more efficient. Doona is the world’s first fully integrated travel system, allowing you to move from car seat to stroller in seconds. You’ll literally save hours of your life with this one.
- Nuna Car Seat + Stroller: Compact, lightweight, and with a ton of features including magnetic buckled and Merino wool inserts, this stroller is flexible and stylish.
- Veer Wagon: More recently on the new parent scene are wagons. Yet, a box on wheels to chuck all your kids’ stuff in as you head to the beach or soccer game or picnic makes all the sense. We love this one for its all-terrain wheels and easy maneuvering.
- Lalo High Chair: Dad brand Lalo cracked the code with this high chair that’s designed to grow as they do and transforms from high chair to booster seat to play chair.
- Artipoppe Baby Carrier: Strollers aren’t really necessary the first several months or even longer. Keep them close with a carrier and get things done at the same time.
Our general rule of thumb is that less is more for newborn babies. They’ve just spent nine months in the womb and need to gently ease in to new topical experiences. In fact, we suggest not washing your your baby immediately after birth — wait a couple of weeks and then just water. You can learn more about immediate after birth baby care in this Birth Plan Resource guide! However, once they are ready for bathing and topical tinctures, we suggest a few of the following:
- Make Your Own Wipes: Just choose an organic bamboo tissue as a base and add an organic, liquified coconut oil, plus any essential oils that you feel called to such as fennel, frankincense, and rose. It’s perfect for removing meconium in the early days!
- Living Libations Shampoo: Safe and gentle, give them their first hair wash with the brand that is unparalleled when it comes to trusted botanical beauty.
- Living Libations BeDew Dab Ozonated Balm for Cradle Cap: Cocoon their precious new skin in this ozonated, activated go-to dew that balances with fresh ozone and smooths, soothes, and regenerates with pure plant intelligence.
- Living Libations Jai Baby Balm: Perfect for infant massage. Helps their nervous system and prepares them for bed.
- Simply Divine Botanicals Outer Body Experience: Ylang Ylang body wash is ideal for synthetic-free bubble baths. If you’re into energy healing, it’s also infused with Reiki. If you’re not, it’s super soft on the skin and smells amazing.
- Inheal™ Probiotic Saffron Milk Bath: Soothes the skin and supports temperature regulation.
- Nucifera Balm: Do yourself a favor and get a bunch of these balms. This organic coconut balm is intentionally made to be multipurpose and has a hundred uses for both moms and newborns — but we found we used it most as a nipple cream when nursing.
- Mini Bloom Nipple Balm: Another great alternative for nursing moms. Made with USDA-certified organic ingredients, this lanolin-free, restorative nipple balm is infused with hydrating oils, nourishing butters, and botanical extracts to calm sore nipples.
Eats + Tinctures:
Again, our little ones don’t need a lot of supplementation, unless there is a need for it. If that’s the case, then as always seek out clean, organic, and high-integrity options — whether that’s food or natural remedies for you or your baby. We suggest:
- Yumi: As your baby transitions into solids, seek clean and organic puree options. If you’re short on time, Yumi is an amazing baby food company that is certified clean and nutritionist backed.
- Alexis Smart Kid Remedies: From nightmares to tantrums, focus to teething, these flower essences provide a balm for a multitude of kids emotional needs.
- Intelligence of Nature: If your baby has thrush and you’re looking for something effective but natural, we strongly recommend this science-backed, plant-based microbiome from Dr. Zach Bush.
- Silver Nursing Cups: If you experience painful nipples there is another option outside of creams and balms. These silver nursing cups are handcrafted in Italy and use the power of silver to soothe pain and discomfort.