Fall is on the way and with the change in weather can come a change in our immunity.
This recipe uses an arsenal of healing herbs and fruits to keep your body at peak cold and flu prevention — and it tastes delicious!
The biggest player in this syrup is loquat. If you haven’t heard of loquat, you can tune into our Instagram Live with Loquat Love’s founder, Lili Antonitsas, as we cover all the healing benefits of loquat — tune in here! Also, if you don’t have the time to make the loquat syrup portion of this recipe, you can purchase Loquat Cough Syrup here!
- Fresh, organic loquat fruit
- Organic coconut water (fresh from the coconut, if possible)
- Raw, organic, local honey
- Isatis root (ban lan gen)
- Chinese licorice root (gan cao)
- Astragalus (huang qi)
- Chinese skullcap (huang qin)
- Fresh loquat leaves, washed thoroughly
- Organic peppermint oil
- Cook fruit in crockpots on high with lid on for 6 hours
- Mash fruit and continue cooking on low, with lid on for 2 more hours
- Strain cooked mixture through a fine mesh sieve and refrigerate
- Set aside fruit mash*
- Fill crockpots with fresh harvested coconut water on low setting, reduce liquid by half, and refrigerate reduced coconut water
- Combine isatis root, licorice root, astragalus, Chinese skullcap, and loquat leaves; cover with water and cook on low for 6 hours
- Drain liquid, leaving herbs in crockpot
- Fill crockpot to cover herbs again, cook for 6 hours
- Repeat process a total of 3 times
- Reduce combined decoction in crockpot to ¼ volume
- Refrigerate herbal decoction
- Combine honey and reduced coconut water to 100 degrees on stovetop
- Add peppermint oil to coconut water/honey mixture, stir well to combine
- Combine all mixtures, mix well, bottle, and refrigerate immediately
*Seeds from discarded fruit mash can be saved, dried, and consumed for vitamin B17.
Avoid using metal throughout the process. Always use glass, wood, ceramic, or plastic cooking vessels, utensils, and storage containers.
Loquat Love is a locally owned, family business dedicated to making pure loquat plant medicine accessible to everyone.