Nearly all women will experience some form of pelvic care issue over their lifetime — yet many of us aren’t educated on the importance of pelvic health or (even worse) are made to feel shame or ignorance about this part of our bodies. For too long, women’s health has been under-researched or we’ve been treated by the Western medical system as “tiny men” — but we’re not tiny men, we have a completely different physical make up and deserve a health care model that reflects that. The good news is that there are countless emerging health startups run by women for women — and in this episode, we chat with one of them — Origin and their co-founder, Carine Carmy. Origin is bringing physical therapy for the pelvic floor to as many women as possible through virtual and in-person appointments (and they’re backed by insurance).
If you are preparing for or experiencing any of the following, pelvic therapy may be able to help:
- Painful Sex
- Bladder and Bowel Control
- Serrated Abs
- Body Aches and Pains
- Menopause and Perimenopause
- Pelvic Organ Prolapse
- Postpartum Recovery
- Birth Prep and Pregnancy
- Gender Affirming Surgery
Carine and Nikki dive into the way these conditions can be linked to the pelvic floor. They also share some of their personal (and their loved ones’) healing journeys around birth, painful sex, and menopause.
They also discuss:
- The history of women’s health
- The reason a gynecologist can’t always help you with your vaginal anatomy
- Pelvic therapy’s ability to help avoid unnecessary surgeries later down the line
- When to engage a physical therapist for pelvic health
- Why we need to remove the stigma around our female bodies
Tune in, learn about your body, and feel empowered to support your pelvic floor!