If you thought you had to swear off everyone’s childhood favorite grilled cheese sandwiches because of dietary choices — guess again. AWG Bakery is gluten, soy, egg, and grain-free (no rice, corn, or oats), plus they’re made with all organic ingredients, and their bags are compostable. They’re also woman and family-owned and we were lucky enough to get their founder, Hanna Lane, to share her favorite Rosemary Pesto Grilled Cheese recipe that is an elevated take on this American staple.
Ingredients for Sandwich:
- 2 slices of AWG Rosemary Bread
- 1 tbsp of cold-pressed, organic olive oil or raw cultured butter
- ¼ cup of raw cheddar cheese
Ingredients for Pesto:
- 2 cups organic basil leaves (no stems)
- 2 tablespoons organic sprouted pine nuts
- 2 large cloves organic garlic
- ½ cup cold-pressed, organic olive oil
- Juice of one organic lemon
Assembly for Pesto:
- Mix all ingredients in a food processor and set aside
Assembly for Sandwich:
- Spread olive oil or butter on 2 slices of AWG Rosemary Bread, just one side.
- Place one side down on a pan set to medium.
- Add cheese, a generous spoonful of pesto, and more cheese.
- Add the second slice of rosemary bread, spread side up.
- Cook in a pan until the cheese starts to melt and the rosemary becomes fragrant then flip!
- Cook the other side until you simply cannot wait any longer. Level up your grilled cheese & never look back!
Looking for a summer refreshment to pair with your lunchtime sandwich? The rosemary and pesto flavor pairs perfectly with an icy Strands of Sunshine™ saffron thread infusion — and its clinical dose of saffron gives you an extra mood boost for the afternoon ahead.
AWG Bakery is truly a step beyond gluten free. All their breads are gluten and grain-free, organic, paleo, and vegan and made with ingredients you know and can pronounce. With four incredible flavors, hundreds of raving reviews, and compostable packaging, they offer shipping or you can buy locally in Southern California.