Loquat is part delicious fruit and part healing plant medicine. Native to Central Eastern China, it has been used in East Asian Medicine for thousands of years. It found its way to Hawaii in the 1800s and although no longer farmed, it propagates there naturally.
Loquat Love is a Maui-based family business that recognized the endless healing properties of loquat. Now, they have made it their mission to share their custom loquat tonics and the general power of the loquat with the world. Today, they make it even easier to incorporate loquat into your day to day with this incredible galette recipe. Enjoy!
Loquat Galette Recipe (makes 2 galettes):
- 1 batch pie crust (ingredients are below)
- 3 pounds fresh, organic loquat fruit — stemmed, pitted, washed, and coarsely chopped
- 1 cup organic coconut sugar
- ½ teaspoon organic ground cinnamon
Pie Crust Ingredients:
- 2½ cups organic all purpose flour
- Pinch of Himalayan pink salt
- 1 cup cold, unsalted, organic butter (cut into 1 inch pieces)
- ⅓ cup ice water
Pie Crust Assembly:
- In a food processor, add flour, salt, and butter. Pulse until the butter is in small bits.
- With the food processor running, slowly add the cold water, just until the dough comes together and begins to form a ball (may require more or less water, add cautiously).
- Remove dough from the mixer and form into two equal size discs.
- Refrigerate for a minimum of 30 minutes.
- Make pie crust, chill dough for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Roll dough into two rounds, approximately ⅛ inch thick.
- Combine chopped loquat fruit, sugar, and cinnamon and mix gently.
- Dividing equally, pile fruit onto dough rounds, leaving an inch or two of dough uncovered around the edges.
- Gently fold the edges of the dough up and over the fruit, in a circular, overlapping motion. This is a rustic form, so perfection is not necessary.
- Optional: brush a bit of cream (dairy or non) on crusts and sprinkle with additional sugar.
- Bake for 25-35 minutes, until dark golden and bubbling.
Loquat Love is a locally owned, family business dedicated to making pure Loquat Plant medicine accessible to everyone.