As we all move to make increasingly healthy choices for our bodies and wellbeing, it can feel as though some foods have to go. If you thought donuts were gone from your life for good — guess again. We have adapted a donut recipe from our favorite baker and gluten-free maven Sweet Laurel by adding a chai glaze to her original recipe. We love the addition of this chai spice mix that feels oh-so very fall and adds a dose of healing spices in the form of cardamom and ginger powders (we’re currently loving Evermill’s organic spices). The donuts are only sweetened with applesauce, so it’s not too sweet! It’s a huge hit with the kids too and definitely one to add to your recipe repertoire.
Ingredients for the Donut:
- 1¾ cups organic almond flour
- 2 tsp organic ground ceylon cinnamon
- ½ tsp organic ground ginger
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ⅛ tsp Celtic sea salt
- ¼ cup organic coconut milk
- ½ cup organic, unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tbsp organic coconut oil, melted, plus extra for greasing the pan
- 1 tbsp organic, pure vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp organic coconut flour
- 1 large egg, plus 1 egg white (Make sure your eggs are soy-free, hormone-free, antibiotic-free, and pastured — preferably from a local farm)
Ingredients for the Glaze:
- ¼ cup organic coconut butter, melted
- ¼ cup organic coconut oil, melted
- 2 tbsp organic maple syrup
- Homemade chai spice blend:
- ⅛ tsp organic ceylon cinnamon powder
- ⅛ tsp organic ginger root powder
- ⅛ tsp organic nutmeg powder
- ⅛ tsp organic allspice powder
- ⅛ tsp organic clove powder
- ⅛ tsp organic cardamom powder
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Generously grease a 6-cavity donut tin with oil and set aside.
- In a small bowl, stir together the blanched almond flour, cinnamon, ginger, baking soda, and salt.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the egg, egg white, coconut milk, applesauce, melted coconut oil, vanilla and coconut flour until well combined.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and use a wooden spoon to thoroughly combine.
- Carefully spoon batter into the prepared pan and bake for 16-18 minutes, until donut springs back when touched.
- Remove from oven and allow the donuts to cool in the pan for 1-2 minutes.
- To make the glaze, whisk all ingredients together until a smooth paste is formed.
- Dip each donut into the glaze then allow to rest on the counter for about 5 minutes. Dip again if desired.