As lovers of ancient healing and nature-first self-care, our ears pricked up when someone mentioned rice water hair care. Originally from Japan — the Heian Period to be exact — it’s said that this treatment was used by the court ladies, whose beautiful long hair (called suberakashi) reached to the floor, courtesy of their daily practice of combing their hair using Yu-Su-Ru (rinse water obtained from the washing of rice).
Today, Yu-Su-Ru is also said to have a host of benefits from scalp to tip. Regular users of rice water have reported many benefits for hair — from removing dandruff, strengthening the strands, stimulating their growth, giving vitality, and significantly improving their appearance.
As rice grains contain 75–80 percent starch, it’s the starchy water that remains after soaking or cooking rice that contains many of the vitamins and minerals contained in rice. Specifically, rice water has a powerful composition including vitamins B and C, and trace elements of potassium, iodine, magnesium, zinc, selenium, and manganese. Oh, and it’s full of fiber that apparently is great for repairing damaged cells.
Another bonus is that rice water can be made with some ingredients that are most likely already residing in your pantry. Keen to see if Yu-Su-Ru can give your mane a healthy, nourishing glow? Check out our recipe below and give it a go. Oh, and it’s recommended that you use this treatment no more than twice a week and follow with a deep conditioner!
Rice Water Hair Care Recipe
- Gather a bowl, organic uncooked rice (any form as long as it’s organic), and filtered water.
- Rinse the uncooked rice with the filtered water and drain. Add the rinsed rice to a bowl with another 1-1½ cups of filtered water. Let it sit for at least an hour or for extra potency, leave it up to 24 hours.
- Shampoo and rinse your hair as normal. Don’t forget to bring the rice water into your bathroom with you.
- After shampooing, massage it into your hair and scalp. Let it sit for at least 20 minutes to an hour, then rinse.
- Follow with a good deep conditioner either immediately or the following day. (We love this non-toxic conditioner from La Tierra Sagrada.)
- Admire your shiny locks!
Looking for more natural hair remedies rooted in ancient traditions? Check out this Ayurvedic Hair Recipe beautifully named The Shield of Radiance.