Over the years, we’ve tried a lot of different types of food lifestyles — and finally, we’ve come to the realization that the best way to eat is one that doesn’t fit into a box.
Therefore, you’ll not find us subscribing to an exclusively gluten-free, paleo, raw or vegan diet and instead find us prioritizing quality ingredients and intuitive eating — after all, Mother Nature and our bodies knows best!
To us, less is more, and the closer we get to the land, the ocean and the soil — the better, and this is also the reason we put an emphasis on whole, seasonally grown food.
As we’ve become more conscious, we’ve begun to focus not just on the types of food we consume, but the people and farming techniques used in their production. We have learned an incredible amount and have great reverence for indigenous and native ways of taking care of our earth and consuming its bounty, and firmly believe in and support regenerative practices as much as possible. We also have felt taken advantage of by packaged food companies that are marketing themselves as healthy but their non-gmo ingredients still contain foods grown with harmful herbicides like glyphosate- including non organic almonds and cassava flours. For this reason we believe sticking to organic or biodynamic foods is crucial.
Our approach to food is one of sovereignty and believe that it is a human right to have access to clean food, the way nature intended. In the spirit of sharing, we’ve pulled together THE FULLEST Guide to Grocery Shopping, a list of everything we’ve learned over the years about choosing quality ingredients.
We hope this one comes in handy the next time you’re at your local store!
- All organic, non-gmo, and glyphosate-free
- No artificial flavors
- No gumming agents, no citric acid, no glycerin
- No yeast
- Only natural, plant dyes (instead of food coloring)
- Cold-pressed, organic oils. Refrain from any hydrogenated oils — like canola, safflower, soy, and peanut oils. We love Be Love Farm’s cold-pressed, organic olive oil!
- No soy (unless it’s organic tempeh)
- Free of hybridized grains like wheat. Use only ancient grains and organic nut flours. We love Jovial’s Einkorn Flour, Einkorn Crackers, & Pasta!
- Raw, organic, additive-free, unpasteurized milk (plant-based or dairy). We love Goodmylk!
- Only raw cow, sheep, and goat dairy. We love this raw cultured butter from Raw Farm!
- No refined sugars. No xylitol, erythritol, monk fruit, stevia, or artificial sweeteners. Use only honey, maple syrup, coconut sugar, or date syrup.
- Aluminum-free baking powder
- Only grass-fed, grass-finished, free-range, and organic pastured meats
- Soy-free, hormone-free, antibiotic-free, and pastured organic eggs — preferably from a local farm.
- Wild, pole, or line caught fish. American Tuna is our brand of choice!
- Yogurt (whole, fermented, raw yogurt or coconut and/or pili nut-based yogurt). We love Cocojune, Laava, and Culina!
- Unrefined Sea Salt. We love Saltverk’s Flaky Sea Salt because it contains the least amount of heavy metals.
Photo by @poppyandsomeday.