This article was first published on Juna World.
Your period is changing in 2021.
Let’s face it, hormone fluctuations over our monthly menstrual cycle play a crucial role in how we show up mentally and physically every day. They affect our emotions, physical energy levels, stress, appetite, mood, communication, sleep, and so much more.
But what if there was a way to hack into your hormones so that they worked for you?
You know those days when you feel emotionally confident, mentally sharp, and physically strong? Now imagine being able to plan your workouts and meetings and creativity around these days. This is where the concept called “cycle syncing” comes in to help you achieve exactly that.
“Cycle syncing” is a term that was trademarked by Alisa Vitti, Functional Nutritionist, Founder of Flo Living, and the leading voice around the intersection of hormones, neurochemistry, feminine energy, entrepreneurship, and success — and she is helping women all over the world incorporate hormone empowerment into their daily routines.
Let’s talk about the four phases of our cycle and why you’ll not only want to double down on your CBD intake in your luteal phase for stress and sleep support but why but you may want to consider adding some key foods to your daily routine.
Phase 1: Follicular (Days 6–14)
- Body: Estrogen is ramping up and energy and libidio begin to build
- Brain: You are in the exploration phase
- Work: Think planning and strategy sessions
- Food: Add phytoestrogen foods like dates, pumpkin seeds, berries, and oats to your daily routine for energy boosting. Fermented foods and high vitamin C options like citrus will help metabolize estrogen efficiently.
- Exercise: Vinyasa flow, light cardio
- Mood: Creative
- Juna: Ease Sensual Body Oil for aromatherapy properties to awaken the senses
Phase 2: Ovulatory (Days 15–17)
- Body: Your energy is on high and you feel strong as estrogen, progesterone, and testosterone increase
- Brain: Communication is clear and you are feeling confident
- Work: This is a good time to schedule meetings and share ideas
- Exercise: High intensity interval workouts
- Food: Think anti-inflammatory and antioxidant foods like raw fruit and veggies
- Mood: You embody a social butterfly
- Juna: Ease CBG tincture for its anti-inflammatory agents
Phase 3: Luteal (Days 18-28)
- Body: Estrogen and progesterone rise and drop, metabolism speeds up because of cortisol and energy starts to decrease
- Brain: Stress hormone cortisol may increase causing you to feel more anxious and have more brain fog than usual
- Work: A good time to wrap up any products and check off your to-do lists
- Exercise: Focus on strength training
- Food: Adding things to your routine to increase serotonin like dark chocolate and green tea are very supportive on these days. Doubling down on cannabinoid-rich food and supplements like CBD will increase serotonin to manage stress, boost mood, and work as an anti-inflammatory agent attributed to bloating and pain attributed to PMS symptoms coming on is paramount. Sustaining energy with high carb foods is paramount. Think small meals often. Avoid or limit fatty foods, alcohol, caffeine, and salty foods. (If you have painful periods, it may be due to excess estrogen. If this is true for you, think fiber: chia seeds, nuts, raspberries, and leafy vegetables that bind to estrogen and increase excretion, which is key in this phase for a more peaceful period.)
- Mood: A balance between yin and yang
- Juna: Ease CBD:CBG drops in the AM to combat inflammation and stress and Nightcap in the PM to support circadian sleep/wake cycles
Phase 4: Menstrual (Days 1-6)
- Body: Hormones are at their lowest; low energy
- Brain: Your right brain and left brain are communicating at their most efficient. This is a good time to journal and reflect.
- Work: This is the best to to evaluate and strategize
- Food: Mineral-rich foods such as seaweed, high protein and healthy and mineral rich. Think seaweed and fish. Restorative soothing herbs like ginger chamomile and mint.
- Exercise: Restorative yoga, stretching
- Mood: Intuition, restoration
- Juna: Ease PMS Tata Set to tackle PMS from the inside and out
Female-founded CBD company Juna focuses on solutions to optimize women’s mind, body, mood, and sleep so they can show up as the best versions of themselves everyday.
By balancing our endocannabinoid system with phytocannabinoids such as CBD, we supercharge our body and support the optimization of our endocrine system, which regulates our hormones from stress to sleep to sex.
Check out Juna’s recipe below for your luteal phase:
Luteal Phase Balance Chocolate Bliss Bites w/ CBD + Fiber
- 1 cup organic sprouted cashews
- 5 organic Medjool Dates, pitted
- 1 heaping scoop of RESET 360 fiber and omega blend by Dr. Sara Gottfried or 8g of a powdered fiber supplement
- ⅛ cup organic cacao powder
- ¼ cup organic coconut oil
- 2 droppers balance X (100mg CBD)
- ½ tsp organic vanilla extract
- 1 good pinch Himalayan Sea Salt
- ⅛ cup organic cacao nibs (at the end)
- Blend everything in a food processor until smooth
- Fold in cacao nibs
- Scoop into small balls, dip in melted chocolate (optional), roll in shredded coconut and keep refrigerated
- Consume: 1 week prior to your period
- Prep time: 7 min
- Servings: 12
- Serving size: 2 pieces
If you’re curious about natural ways to optimize and restore your sleep cycle, Juna is offering THE FULLEST readers 50% off their first month’s subscription and then 20% off every month thereafter. You can schedule autoship for every 30, 60, or 90 days. Simply use code THEFULLEST at checkout.