If you’ve not yet discovered Loco Love chocolates, you are in for a treat. We’ve been head over heels with the brand since day one. Its medicinal chocolate has been self-described as sweet cacao sorcery — and that is the actual truth. Founded by naturopath Emica Penklis, and based out of Byron Bay, Australia, Loco Love uses the finest organic, plant-based and whole food ingredients, including organic, fair-trade Criollo Cacao from Peru. They then alchemize it with their unique blends of superfoods, tonic herbs and healing spices. It’s chocolate with benefits — we know you’ll taste and feel the difference too. Plus, if that wasn’t enough, even their packaging has an element of the divine and mixes striking ethereal visuals with esoteric wisdom.
We were lucky enough to get one of Emica’s favorite recipes. Here, she shares it below. Enjoy!
The Real Deal Choc Chip Cookies
These vegan cookies are the perfect treat to give and keep on hand for afternoon sweet treat cravings. They usually only last 1-2 days in our house, there’s nothing quite like freshly homemade cookies. We hope you enjoy this recipe!
Ingredients: Makes 10 Medium sized cookies
- 1 cup (120g) organic sprouted garbanzo bean flour
- Pinch of sea salt flakes, plus extra to sprinkle
- ½ tsp aluminum-free baking soda
- 2 tbsp organic coconut sugar
- ⅓ cup oil (we used melted organic coconut oil)
- ¼ cup organic maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla paste
- 1 block Loco Love Nirvana, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and line a baking tray with paper or a baking mat.
- In a medium bowl, combine dry ingredients and mix well.
- Add oil, maple and vanilla paste, plus a splash of water (1 – 2 tsp) to combine and reach a thick, sticky dough consistency.
- Fold through chocolate chunks, reserving some for topping the cookies before baking.
- Roll a tablespoon of dough into a ball, place on the baking paper and squish to flatten. Place two or three chocolates chunks on top of the cookie, pressing slightly into dough.
- Repeat with remaining dough, leaving space between cookies for spreading. You may need to do two batches.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, until edges are golden. Leave the cookies to cool on the tray, and sprinkle with flaked sea salt.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 5 days and enjoy!
Emica Penklis is the founder of Loco Love. She has a storied past as a fashion designer, international model, naturopath, herbalist and nutritionist. Emica has always loved chocolate, and after spending a decade peddling healthy sweet treats from her home kitchen and dreaming of a world where healthy chocolate was the norm, not the niche, Loco Love was born.