Growing up, I’ll always remember my sister’s love affair with Bisquick. Although I’m not a biscuit hater, I definitely wasn’t a biscuit fan, and fell more into the camp of English muffin fangirl. This recipe almost feels like it blends the two but shares more of the flaky texture with a biscuit than a muffin. The other bonus is that unlike our childhood, this recipe doesn’t come out of a box — instead it’s made with quality-sourced ingredients.
Recreating childhood classics with a more elevated group of ingredients has become my passion in the kitchen. It allows all those inner child desires and nostalgic memories to be honored without our nutrition taking a hit.
So, if you’re also looking for a farm-to-table biscuit to add to your breakfast weekend roundup that doesn’t come at the cost of your health — this one is a guaranteed hit with the entire family.
Recipe: Makes approximately 8 biscuits
- 2 cups organic all purpose einkorn flour (FYI it’s glyphosate free)
- 1/2 tsp himalayan salt
- 1/2 tsp coconut sugar
- 1 tbsp aluminum-free baking powder
- 1/2 cup of grass-fed, cubed butter still cold from the fridge
- 3/4 cup organic almond milk or raw milk
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Combine the all-purpose einkorn flour, himalayan salt, coconut sugar, and baking powder in a large bowl.
- Cut in butter into the flour mixture using your hands.
- Work butter into mixture until you’re left with a medium-sized, pebble-like consistency.
- Stir in milk and form a ball of dough.
- Knead dough for 1-2 minutes on a lightly floured surface, then roll out to 1/2 inch thick.
- Using the top of an 8oz drinking glass, cut the biscuits and place onto a lightly greased baking sheet about 1 inch apart.
- Bake in the center of the oven for 10-14 minutes or until golden brown!
- Serve immediately with jam (we suggest our Barberry Beauty Jam), raw butter, or honey (I love Activist Manuka’s Surfer’s Honey).
Nikki Bostwick is the Founder and Editor-in-Chief of THE FULLEST, host of THE FULLEST Podcast, and creator of our Saffron Latte.