My favorite Persian dish, Tadegh, is simple, yet utterly satisfying. Growing up, my mother used saffron generously, which made me a bit of a saffron snob. However, it wasn’t until I was grown that I found out just how many great saffron benefits there actually were. From its mood-boosting benefits to its taste, I now feel even more justified in my decision to always add “just a little bit more saffron” to any dish that calls for it.
In the east, saffron is used to treat light-to-moderate depression and has the reputation of bringing cheerfulness and wisdom. (It’s also said to contain aphrodisiac properties for women!) So why don’t we all embrace our inner saffron snob, add in some rice, and take the ride to Cloud 9 — laughter truly is the best medicine!
- 3 cups organic white basmati rice
- 2 tablespoons organic coconut oil (melted)
- 1 teaspoon ground Strands of Sunshine™ Saffron Threads
- 2 teaspoons pink salt
- Make the brewed saffron first by adding 1 teaspoon of ground saffron to ¼ cup of hot water, and set aside.
- Wash the rice thoroughly until the water runs clear. Place the rinsed rice in a non-stick pot, adding enough water all the way until the first knuckle of your index finger is covered.
- Add in the coconut oil, brewed saffron, and pink salt, giving it a good stir.
- Cover the pot and cook on high until the liquid is completely absorbed.
- Wrap the lid of the pot in a clean kitchen towel, covering the pot with the lid (this prevents it from steaming and adding more water to the rice). Steam for 30 minutes. *Always be careful that the edges of the towel are not hitting the stove — you don’t want to start a kitchen fire!
- Invert the rice onto a platter and share with friends!
*Makes six servings.