Born Heather Sweet in West Branch, Michigan, Dita Von Teese grew up fascinated by the Golden Age of Cinema, pin-up imagery, and vintage lingerie. This naturally blond, mid-western girl then transformed herself into a glamour girl like those she admired. Performing striptease since 1992, she is the biggest name in burlesque in the world since Gypsy Rose Lee and is credited with bringing the art form back into the spotlight with a new sense of elegance and sophistication.
Taking audiences on a journey into fantasy and spectacle, Dita is renowned for her ornate sets and dazzling haute-couture performance costumes adorned with hundreds of thousands of Swarovski crystals. This “Burlesque Superheroine” (Vanity Fair) is the performer of choice at high profile events including those for designers such as Marc Jacobs, Christian Louboutin, Louis Vuitton, Chopard, and Cartier.
Dita has recently expanded into her own distinct brands. Her lingerie collection debuted exclusively with Bloomingdale’s in the U.S. in March 2014, and has expanded to other popular U.S. retailers such as Nordstrom, Dillard’s, Barenecessities.com and Journelle.
We had the pleasure of meeting Dita in a workshop at Esalen and immediately fell in love with her energy, perception on life, and striking beauty. She inspires us to own our femininity and empowers us to be comfortable in our sexiness. Get a glimpse on Dita’s seven likes.
1. My lovable cat Aleister
2. Truffle salt and smoked sea salt to transform simple things like avocado toast into a gourmet experience
3. A teaspoon of Royal Sense Pure Rose Drinkable Bulgarian Rosewater with a squeeze of lemon and a touch of stevia for a glamorous lemonade
4. Kimberly Snyder’s Beauty Detox Foods/Power books with delicious recipes and nutrition advice
5. My Vitamix blender for making green smoothies, raw soups and salad dressings
6. The Happy Cow app for finding me organic restaurants on all my travels
7. GoodEggs.com local/organic food delivery service