It’s summer. It’s hot. And my sensitive skin has been reflecting this. A bit on the red side, overheated, perhaps too much sun. But there is not much that I love more than playing skin alchemist in my own kitchen with ingredients that I also use to nourish my mind, inner body, + spirit. I keep this mask ready in the fridge so there is an extra calming and cooling factor. It feels so amazing when applied and leaves your skin soft, hydrated, calmed, + bright. **I also put a tablespoon into my smoothies for an inner glow as well.
IRISH MOSS :: is a type of seaweed that is super rich in minerals and has wonderful detoxifying properties. When applied topically it soothes and softens the skin, is anti-inflammatory, eases rashes + sunburns, and also has anti-aging effects.
ROSEWATER :: Just as rose essence soothes the spirit + mood, rosewater when applied topically soothes inflamed skin, diminishing redness and calming enlarged capillaries just below the skin’s surface.
GRATED APPLE :: When applied topically apples can have a very gentle peel effect. They are super high in antioxidants which nourish the skin, and are rich in Alpha Hydroxy Acids which have a balancing effect on the skin’s PH, dissolve dry patches, and can help lighten sun + age spots.
| INGREDIENTS |
- Large Handful of Irish Moss
- 3 T of drinkable Rose Water
- 5 T freshly grated organic Apple
| STEPS |
- Place the Irish Moss in a glass container and cover with spring water. Leave overnight in the fridge to soak. You want it to soften, become a bit lighter in color, + a bit slimy.
- Rinse the plumped up Irish Moss in the sink, discard water.
- Add 3/4 C of fresh spring water and the Irish Moss to your high-speed blender and blend until smooth and gel-like.
- Add your 3T of Rose Water and blend again. Transfer to a tupperware container.
- Grate about 5 T of organic apple and stir into your gel.
- Let cool in fridge. ***This gel will last about 3 weeks refrigerated.
- When your gel is nice and cool, apply to your entire face, neck and chest area.
- Leave on for 20 minutes and remove with a warm soft cloth.
Melissa Parke Rousseau is a Healing Nutrition Specialist, Massage Therapist + Reiki Practitioner, Jewelry Designer, Late Stage Lyme Disease Warrior, Writer, and Founder of M.Parke Studio, a holistic lifestyle studio for nourishing mind, body, and spirit. Her M.Parke Shop is passionately curated with vintage clothing, accessories, organic beauty products, and wellness tools.