Chia pudding, like the kale chip, is one of those dishes that at first seemed a little odd, but has managed to make its way into the urban landscape of familiar dishes. Despite the health fad factor of chia seeds, chia pudding tastes great- and has that familiar creamy and gelatinous texture that seems to be friendly for all palates- think tapioca pudding or boba tea. Sweet, creamy, a little weird, and super good.
Chia seeds are one of the most rich sources of vegan Omega 3s. Typically western diets, even healthy ones, are super high in Omega 6’s – nuts, seeds, avocados and many of our favorite healthy fats still lack that Omega 3, 6, 9 balance. Enter the chia seed- not only are chia seeds high in Omega 3’s (higher than Salmon) they are also packed with protein, antioxidants and fiber. They excellent as the star of the show ie. chia pudding, but they also serve well as a gelling agent and thickener in place of eggs. And because the chia just wasn’t enough we decided to add turmeric!
Turmeric aka “The Golden Goddess” is literally the exotic goddess of the spice cabinet. Not only does it lend an unique flavor to dishes, it is also one of the most potently healing and medicinal herbs. Due to its high curcumin content, turmeric acts as a powerful anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, anti-allergin, and anti— well, you get it…. This recipe is super easy, kid friendly, and delicious!
| Golden Milk Chia Pudding Ingredients |
- 2 cups almond or coconut milk
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated turmeric (optional)
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon ground cardamom
- ¼ teaspoon ginger powder
- 4 dates, pitted or 4-5 drops Omica Liquid Stevia for a sugar free option
- 1/2 cup chia seeds
| Directions |
- Blend all ingredients except for chia seeds until smooth.
- Pour blended mixture over chia seeds and stir well. It is nice to stir a few times in the first 10 minutes to evenly distribute chia seeds.
- Allow pudding to set in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours or overnight.
- Serve with fresh coconut flakes and/ or your favorite fruit.